Saturday, August 22, 2009

Acorn Squash, BBQ, and Tomatoes

Happy Saturday!

Tonight's dinner was a tag team effort. My husband was in charge of the meat, and I took care of the sides. Speaking of the meat, he bought a Boston Butt. He did two days of brining to it in a mixture of several things. Molasses is about all I remember. He smoked it all day today so it would be nice and tender then he shredded it into BBQ. If you are interested in his recipe, I will be glad to get it from him.

Now, let's talk about the sides. The first one was a repeat of last week, sorta. We have a vegetable garden, and we planted Jelly Bean Tomatoes. Basically, they are like cherry tomatoes but are supposed to be red and yellow. Apparently we had cross pollination and they came out orange! Since we have a million of them, I cut up some and added salt, pepper, shredded mozzarella cheese, and a dash of basil. The Acorn Squash recipe was one out of an AJLI cookbook. I spoke of the cookbooks last week. This recipe specifically comes from the Junior League of Greater Vancouver, BC. So, let's see what you need to make Acorn Squash with Applesauce.

Ingredients (serves 4):
  • 2 acorn squash
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 1/2 cups applesauce
  • 1/4 packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
  • Butter
Here is how you prepare it. Wash the squash, halve it lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Mix together the lemon juice, raisins, applesauce, brown sugar, and walnuts (I didn't have walnuts, but had pecans, so I used those instead). Spoon the mixture into the squash halves and dot with butter (Mixture and Squash). Place in a baking dish with 1/2 inch of hot water in the bottom. Cover and bake at 400F for 30 minutes; then remove the cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

Easy!

When you plate your squash, simply take a fork and mix the squash with the applesauce mixture. So, let's see this dish plated...

Yummy huh? We sure thought so!

Well, what are you waiting for. Get to the grocery, get you some acorn squash, and try something new!! As always, thanks for reading.

4 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We are laughing at your comment about orange tomatoes. They look very tasty no matter the color. You are lucky to have a hubby who enjoys cooking.

Thor said...

That looks awesome! I have got to try that!!

Woos,
Thor

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

So I don't like applesauce, walnuts or raisins, so I think I'll have to skip this recipe. However, I do think it looks really cool served inside the squash!

Molly the Airedale said...

I'm growing acorn squash too! Thank you so much for the recipe! It sounds and looks delicious!

Sue