Saturday, August 15, 2009

Baked Grouper with Mango Salsa and Baked Zucchini

I am back! Sorry that I got slack on posting recipes!

This morning, I pulled out two cookbooks that I have neglected. Both are AJLI cookbooks. AJLI is the Association of Junior Leagues International. Within AJLI, there are almost 300 leagues in 4 countries of women devoted to improve their communities through volunteer efforts.

The two recipes I used for tonight's dinner came out of two different cookbooks put out by AJLI, specifically from the Junior League of Mobile. The Grouper with the salsa was really supposed to be Grilled Snapper, but I decided to use Grouper and bake it. So, let's see what we need to get started:

Baked Grouper with Mango Salsa
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 grouper fillets
  • 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Mango Salsa
Mango Salsa
  • 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
  • 1 cup chopped mango
  • 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • Dash of hot sauce
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Baked Zucchini
  • 1 1/2 lbs zucchini, scrubbed, and trimmed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • Shaved Parmesan Cheese
Let's get started. First, I must admit. I bailed on the Mango Salsa. When I got to the grocery store, the mangos were not ripe. So, I bought a Mango and Peach salsa.

So, on to the fish: Combine the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, and olive oil in a large shallow dish and mix well. Place the fish in the marinade, turning to coat. Let it marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes, turning several times. In your baking dish, coat the pan with a little olive oil, and place the fish in the pan. Salt and pepper both sides, and add several pats of butter on the fish. Bake for about 20 minutes at 375F, until the fish flakes.

This baked zucchini was amazing! It is a keeper in my recipe book for sure. Let's put it together. Slice the zucchini in 1/4 inch rounds. Boil gently in salted water with the onion for 7-10 minutes, until fork tender. Drain in a colander and pour into a sprayed baking pan. In a separate bowl, mix the butter, poppy seeds, garlic salt and pepper, then place on top of the zucchini and lightly toss. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 375F.

We grow tomatoes, and since we had one that needed to be eaten, I sliced it up, gave it a sprinkle of salt and pepper, topped it with slices of fresh mozzarella and dried basil.

So, let's check it out.

A nice easy meal! Just the way I like it. The baked zucchini was a surprise! My husband went back for seconds! When he does that, I know he really enjoyed what was served to him!

As always, thanks for reading. Now, get into your kitchen and make something new!!!

3 comments:

KZK said...

That all sounds SO good! (Especially the home-grown tomatoes. I admit - I have tomato envy. LOL!)
I must try the zuke! The poppy seed addition sounds really different - cool touch!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

The zucchini sounds so easy. I have some here now, I am going to try it this week. Great recipe.

Teddy Westlife said...

What a tasty recipe!