Friday, May 14, 2010

Greek Lemon Cake

Lemons are a staple of Greek cooking, because the mild climate is perfect for citrus trees. This is a simple lemon cake that is not too heavy, but still very satisfying. A word of advice: use only fresh lemons for the juice and zest called for in this recipe. They make a world of difference!

Ingredients:

* 3 cups cake flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 6 eggs
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 2 teaspoons lemon zest
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 cup plain yogurt

Let’s prepare!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt cake pan and set aside. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside. Separate the eggs (always my favorite part). In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 of the sugar, beating a little more until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.

Cream the butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice until fluffy. Add the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt. Then gently fold in the egg whites and pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes and let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a rack to finish. Serve with a nice cup of coffee or lemon tea and enjoy!

4 comments:

Ruby Bleu said...

That looks delish. Did you use Greek yogurt by any chance?

Unknown said...

What a fabulous recipe! I liked it so much that I forwarded it to several friends. I was wondering, what do you think about using Meyer lemons for the Greek lemon cake? I also agree with your point about "fresh lemons." Where I live we don't have easy access to fresh lemons, so what I do is just go online (http://www.buy-lemons-online.com/ ) and order from growers that pick them right off the trees and ship them direct — a tip I learned from my cousin in North Dakota. This way I get fresh lemons picked from the tree without all the time sitting in cartons, trucks and warehouses.
Thanks
Lauren

Kate said...

I stumbled across your blog. I love it and am going to poke around a little bit. Don't worry, I'll put everything back where I found it!

Recommended Daily Dose

Unknown said...

I also agree with your point about "fresh lemons.. Challenge coins