Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chicken Enchilada

Hi there!

This once was a new recipe for us, but we have been making it for well over a year. This is also a recipe that you can freeze if you wish! And we all know how nice it is to take something out of your freezer before you go to work, come home, and pop it in the oven! So, let's see how to make it:

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken (I normally buy canned chicken)
  • 1 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 small onion finely chopped (I prefer red onion)
  • 2 green bell peppers, finely chopped
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas
  • 2 cans of red enchilada sauce
  • 1 16oz jar of salsa
Let's put it together!

In a large bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, shredded chicken, onion/bell pepper (reserve about 1 cup for the topping), 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Stuff tortillas with ½ cup stuffing and roll (or fold - pending on how you like to do it). Place tortillas in a greased pan. Cover with 1 cup left over peppers and onions, enchilada sauce, and salsa. Top with 1 cup cheese.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

Easy! Now, let's prepare it if you want to freeze before cooking. Based on my past experience, this is what I recommend. Prepare as directed. Place the 1 cup left over peppers/onions in a plastic bag. Place the enchilada sauce/salsa in another plastic bag. Place the 1 cup cheese in a plastic bag. Place the plastic bags on top of the stuffed tortillas. Then freeze.

Oh, ready to cook? Once you thaw the dish, sprinkle pepper/onions, pour over the sauce mixture, and top with cheese. Then bake at 350 for 45 minutes. The reason for doing it this way is I froze this dish once after I prepared and when I thawed it then baked it, the tortillas were soggy. No one likes soggy tortillas, lol!

I actually did this for dinner last week. Let's take a look!
To go along with the meal, we opened a bottle of red wine :) We are frequent shoppers (and club members) at Winestyles. Because of this, we have become fans of wines from Chile. 35 South makes this wine with organic grapes and it is absolutely delish! It is a Cabernet Merlot blend.

Well, thanks for reading once again! As I always say, get out there and try something new!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, perhaps I now have my dinner plans for tonight!

Teddy Westlife said...

I've never made enchiladas but that seems really easy.

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

I made these tonight. Quite tasty and very easy.