Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Noodle Bowl

Hi there!

I am backtracking a bit. We made this dinner on Saturday, July 11. This was a very yummy meal, I must admit. I had never cooked Bok Choy before, and didn't know anything about how to pick it or clean it. My great friend over at KZK Bags sent me some great YouTube videos on Bok Choy. If you are interested in cooking with this and need a little more knowledge, then start with this video on how to clean Bok Choy and go from there.

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 inches ginger root, peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks or grated
  • 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom caps, sliced, a couple of cups
  • 1 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces, then cut sticks lengthwise
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1 cup seafood stock
  • 1 1/2 pounds medium peeled and deveined shrimp
  • 1/2 pound vermicelli
  • 4 scallions, cut into 3 inch pieces, then shredded lengthwise into thin sticks
This recipe comes from Rachel Ray over at the Food TV website. So, here is how you make it:

Put vegetable oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, mushrooms (I used portabello, rather than shiitake), bok choy, salt/pepper in a medium soup pot and turn the heat to medium-high heat. After a minute or so, add chicken broth and seafood stock. Put a lid on the pot and bring soup to a boil.

Note: I let ours boil for a bit until the bok choy got tender. Additionally, our grocery store did not have seafood stock. This can easily be made using your shrimp shells for this meal.

Next, add shrimp and noodles and cook 3 minutes. Add in scallions and cook 2 minutes, then turn off soup and let it sit 2 to 3 minutes more. Adjust salt and serve.

This dinner was very easy to make! I do caution that it was very spicy! I love spicy foods and can tolerate at a high heat, but this burned my lips! We will cut back on the red pepper flakes when we make this again! And here is the finished product:

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed it and get out there and try something new!

5 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Another great-looking dinner - I am a shrimp lover but I might have to really cut back on the red pepper. Thanks for sharing.

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Your meals are so colorful! I love the look of your blog.

PS. Yep, the comments work. :-)

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I'm drooling again...

Teddy Westlife said...

I love bok choy! This looks so tasty.

KZK said...

As they say, "Oh boy, Bok Choy!"
I have no idea who "they" are.