Saturday, July 25, 2009

Crispy Orange Rosemary Chicken and Edamame Succotash

Hi there!

Guess what day it is? You got it! It is Saturday and that means time for a new recipe. I love using fresh herbs, and since I have a rosemary bush in my backyard, this recipe seemed perfect.

I have to say this was a great summer meal, light, tasty, and a bit of a surprise! The ingredients call for breadcrumbs, so you may suspect you will fry the chicken, but you don't.

Let's see what we need to get this going. (Both are Rachel Ray recipes, however, I did change the succotash recipe.)

Ingredients (for the Chicken dish):
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 6-oz Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 sprigs of Rosemary, chopped
  • Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 large yellow onion (again, I used red)
  • 2 large carrots (thinly sliced)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped OR 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Zest and juice of one Orange
  • 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
  • 10 pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup plain bread crumbs (See my note below)
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan
Ingredients (for the succotash - using my changes):
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped OR 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 bell pepper (green)
  • 1 jalapeno (red) - optional
  • 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 8 oz frozen edamame (in the steamer bags located in the frozen section of your grocery)
  • Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
  • A handful of chopped fresh parsley
Let's get cooking. First here is how to prepare the chicken dish. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the chicken, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 6-7 minutes or until lightly browned, then add the onions, carrots and garlic. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

Turn your oven on to broil!

Dust the chicken and veggies with the flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the orange juice and chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced by half, then add the olives (which I forgot to do!!!).

While the liquid is reducing, make the bread-crumb topping. Combine the breadcrumbs, orange zest, parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan. NOTE: My personal opinion was the recipe called for too much of the breadcrumbs. I would reduce it to 3/4 cup if I make it again.

Transfer the chicken and veggies to a baking dish and top with the breadcrumb mixture, covering all of the chicken and veggies. Place under the broiler until the topping is brown and crispy. About minutes, BUT keep a close eye on it!

Moving on to the succotash. The reason I added the red jalapeno is because my great aunt grows them and last week, she gave us about 12 of them in a brown bag. So, I have been adding them to pretty much everything. Some of them were red rather than green. I have to be honest, I didn't know red jalapenos existed. I don't know if there was cross pollination when they were growing, or what. Anyways, they added a nice addition to the succotash and color too! So, if you want jalapeno (seeds or no seeds), I will leave that up to you!

To prepare: Pop your steamer bag of edamame in the microwave and prepare accordingly. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic and peppers (bell and jalapeno). Saute, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until tender. Add the corn and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the edamame at this time. Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley. Remove from heat and serve.

I love a good succotash! And this one was really yummy. I will defiantly make it again. The regular recipe from Rachael Ray called for butter beans.

I added some mashed potatoes to complete the dish. Let's take a look:

Additionally, I paired this meal with a white wine from Portugal, Aveleda Fonte. It was nice and light with fruity tones. I picked it up at my local Winestyles store. If you have one in your area, you should check it out. I like the label of this wine too. Check it out.

Thanks again for reading! Now, get a move on it! Get in your kitchen and try something new!

5 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

It looks very good...

I think your wine choice was a great complement to it!

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Yum! Is is weird that the mashed potatoes sound like the best part to me?

Teddy Westlife said...

Broiling is like grilling, right?

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

I have never had succotash - have to try this one for sure. And that wine sounds like something I would really like.

Unknown said...

Oh yum!!!