Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Citrus Biscotti

So for my Birthday this year (Dec 21), my husband bought me Giada de Laurentiis' first cookbook. Let me say that I am in heaven. I have 6 recipes set for this week that are from her cookbook, three of which have already been made. So, hunker down and get ready for some Italian!!!

On a whim on Monday, I decided to make some Citrus Biscotti. Sure the orange and lemons sitting on my counter are for other recipes, but I really wanted some Biscotti. I figured the grocery store isn't going anywhere! I also did not have any pistachios so I used cashews and almonds. I figured that any nut would work :)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (from about 1 orange)
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
Let's get started.

Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In another large bowl, beat the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until they become pale yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the orange and lemon zests, then the flour mixture, and beat just until blended. A soft and sticky dough will form. Stir in the pistachios and let stand for 5 minutes.

Divide the dough in half and spread on the cookie sheet. Moisten your hands with water and shape the dough into two 11 inch by 4 inch logs. Bake until the logs are lightly browned (35 minutes). Cool for 5 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs crosswise into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices. Arrange the Biscotti cut side down on the same baking sheet and cook for 13 minutes. Take out the pan, flip all of the pieces so the other cut side is down and make for 12 more minutes, until the cookies are pale golden. Let cool before serving.

If you want to add chocolate, just get some Bakers Semi Sweet Chocolate (white or dark) and melt using the microwave or double boiler.

Let's have a look!
Doesn't that look great?? Get into the kitchen, whip this up, put on a nice pot of coffee and enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks divine! :)

KZK said...

Mmmmmmm... biscotti!

Teddy Westlife said...

Looks delish but sadly no nuts for me.