Friday, December 04, 2009

Winter Minestrone

Happy December! Sorry I have been slack here. I feel like I start off my posts with that very comment here lately. We have made several new dishes and I just have them looking at me waiting for me to write about them. I promise to be better about this!!! So, let's talk soup!

Who doesn't love a good comfort soup??? We made this recipe, curtsy of Giada de Laurentiis, and wow! It was so good. We did two things different in this recipe. We did not use the Parmesan Cheese rind. Also, we used Kale instead of Swiss Chard. I thought the Kale was terrific in this soup and we will be making this again for sure!

Let's see what you need!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
  • 1 russet potato, peeled, cubed
  • 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 fresh rosemary sprig
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium beef broth
  • 1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese rind
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • Salt and Pepper
Let's get cooking!!! Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, celery, pancetta and garlic. Season with some salt and pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes. Add the Swiss chard (or Kale) and potato and saute for 2-5 minutes. I actually covered the pot at this point to help the greens wilt down. Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig (I de-leafed mine first). Simmer until the greens are wilted - about 10 minutes.

While the greens are wilting down, blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 of the broth in a processor until almost smooth. Add the pureed mixture, remaining broth, remaining beans and cheese rind (note: I did not use this) to the vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally. (Giada's recipe says to only simmer for 15 min, but I felt it needed to go longer!).

Ladle the soup into bowls, top with some parsley, and enjoy!!!

Yes! It really is that simple! So hearty! So healthy! How could you not want to try it? Want to see what it looks like?

I do hope you will try it!!! I hope to have some more recipes up for you in the next few days!!! Now, get into your kitchen and try something new!

2 comments:

The Army of Four said...

Mmmm..... my belly feels warmer already! ;)

Teddy Westlife said...

Looks so tasty! If only it wasn't summer here.